Peter advises companies and government agencies in the fields of litigation, public procurement, project finance, construction law, EU law and administrative law. His strong background in EU law matters is a result of many years of experience in negotiations with the European Commission on matters of State aid, competition law, public procurement law and the use of EU funds.
Peter also has significant experience in commercial and administrative disputes, both before Slovak courts (including the Supreme Court and the Constitutional Court) and EU courts (the General Court and the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg), as well as vast experience in white collar and cartel investigations.
Peter has market leading experience with all major PPP projects in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, where he has represented public and private clients in all stages of the selection process and follow-up claim management.
"Peter Hodal is a professional adviser with expertise and knowledge." Legal 500
- represented the government in connection with the D4/R7 PPP highway project, covering procurement, financing, construction and State aid issues; further assisted in negotiations with bank syndicates and multilateral financial institutions and in the management of contract claims after the financial close of the project
- represented one of the largest chemical companies in Slovakia, in connection with a State aid investigation by the European Commission and in subsequent multiple court proceedings before the General Court and the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg
- represented the City of Bratislava in a number of construction projects and high profile litigations regarding third party damages claims related to construction projects and joint investments
- represented leading industrial companies in connection with the first constitutional dispute regarding a retroactively and disproportionately applied tax rate before the Constitutional Court of the Slovak Republic on the incompatibility of the emission allowance tax with the Slovak Constitution and EU law
- advised a leading player on the Slovak telco market in an investigation that led to the launch of multiple proceedings before the European Commission against its competitors due to violations of public procurement rules, State aid rules and the incorrect use of EU funds
- represented the Ministry of Transport of the Czech Republic in relation to the D4 PPP highway project (the first completed PPP project in the Czech Republic), advising on all aspects related to structuring of the contractual documentation and selection of the concessionaire, including financing, contractual and procurement issues
- advised the leading international car and truck bearings producer in a European Commission cartel investigation, settlement discussions and follow-up damage claims
- represented a leading multinational technology corporation in multiple white collar investigations regarding its relationships with private parties and the public sector
- advising the Slovak Republic on a pro bono basis in long-term proceedings regarding the determination of the ownership title to land located under and around a school in Bratislava
- 2022 to date Partner, Hillbridges, Bratislava
- 2022 – Partner, Aldertree legal, Bratislava
- 2020 – 2022 Counsel, White & Case, Bratislava
- 2012 – 2013 Associate, White & Case, Brussels
- 2008 – 2019 Associate, White & Case, Bratislava
- 2007 – Research assistant, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA
- 2007 – Junior Associate, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, Washington, D.C.
- 2004 – 2006 Junior Associate, Weinhold Legal, Bratislava
- 2015 – 2018 Expert, EU Commission stakeholder expert group on public procurement, Brussels
- 2007 University of Virginia School of Law, USA (LLM)
- 2005 University of Economics, Bratislava
- 2004 Faculty of Law, Comenius University, Bratislava
- Advocate (Slovak Bar Association)
- Country correspondent for the European State Aid Law Quarterly and the European Procurement & Public Private Partnerships Law Review